Friday 25 February 2011

Mmmmmmm Soup with ZERO ProPoints!

I dragged my behind out for a walk today to explore the far off areas of my little bit of the world.  I found some lovely shops and stumbled across a beautiful little deli, selling the reddest tomatoes I have ever seen and oranges with the leaves still attached!  This delicious smell lured me inside and the source of it was a big pot of amazing aromatic soup.  Of course all posh deli's have prices to match their levels of swishness and this one was no exception.  As delightful as it smelled there is no way this Yorkshire lass is paying £4 for a pot of soup!

At home a scan of my cupboards and fridge revealed a half full bag of carrots and a big butternut squash.  I chopped these up and added half a chilli and two cloves of garlic.  The chilli and garlic aren't necessary but add extra flavour and depth.  Bland soup reminds me of baby food, the taste, texture and colour are practically identical so adding extras makes it taste 100% better.  To also add flavour to the soup, get your spices out.  I added generous spoons of cumin, turmeric, coriander and mustard seed, which is basically curry powder.  I popped this in the oven for 30 mins to toast the spices and slightly cook the veg which gives the soup a deep roasted flavour.  Amazing!

 
Orange Goodness pre roasting!

You may have noticed I haven't peeled my butternut squash.  DON'T, life is too short!  It is perfectly edible and is not noticeable at all when blended up.  When the veg is softened pop it into a pan with enough boiling water to cover.  Bring to the boil and then simmer until the veg is soft.  Blend this until you get a beautiful dark orange soup.  Pour into a bowl, locate spoon. Enjoy!

The finished product

2 comments:

  1. I too am following the pro points, lost 6 and half stone on normal points but finding the pro points are hard going, dunno if its my body adjusting or what! but first week, lost 3lb, next week, stayed the same, this week.........put on a pound. I am 26 stone 3. I'm so disheartened

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds delicious, another recipe added to my book - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete